geotagged photos and coordinate field

marc

geotagged photos and coordinate field

Postby marc » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:57 am

Hello,
I have just purchased the full version and I am very impressed by the application and its useful features. One question and one suggestion though. My mobile is set to take geotagged pictures, however, the tags do not seem to transfer to the saved file. Could it be fixed?
Also, could there be a coordinate field directly reading the GPS values?
Best wishes
Mqrc

support

Re: geotagged photos and coordinate field

Postby support » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:24 pm

What is your device? I will check what could be done there.

As for entering coordinate fields, such option kind of opens a can of worms, as such permission trigger privacy concerns, requirements to maintain privacy policy. I was hoping to keep the application free of privacy tainting.

There are third party tools that allow to directly copy GPS coordinates to clipboard, for example, GPS Coordinates on android, which seems to achieve you request.

It does seems that application for field work shall have provide more convenience in handling coordinates, maybe even a dedicated data type. The problem is, I am not familiar with actual use of such data. It would help to have some description of real life use cases, in order to better understand what functionality does and what does not make sense in a mobile database application.

Maybe you could share your examples and thoughts on how relevant features can be implemented.

Thanks

marc

Postby marc » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:31 pm

Hello, my device is Nokia Lumia 1020 (Windows OS).

GPS derived field
I am creating an application to do river surveys: people go on a river and take pictures of river features and artificial structures and record where they do the survey.
The geolocalisation for ecological surveys is essential, otherwise the data is worthless. I run a website of river surveys I used to run for the Environment Agency in England and Wales (the site was done in collaboration with them). On this site, you will see the location of all 25000 sites we surveyed since 1994 http://www.riverhabitatsurvey.org/map-open-os/. People are still collecting data and it would be good if the survey coordinates could be directly captured using an app. I am testing your app to see whether it can be used in this case.
I would suggest to create a Derived field for GPS coordinates.

Geotagged photos
There again, I am doing a survey of river morphology for a client (different type of survey as above). I will take pictures every 50m of the river over 4km. Having the geotagging on for the photos would enable me to map directly the sites using an app such as GeoPhoto (Windows OS). It will also help me find the exact position again when I re-survey in 2 years time. Again, for survey work, it is quite an essential feature and would be fantastic.

These kind of features are very useful for this kind of work. It would be great to have them and share them with the wider community who are doing the same kind of work as I do.

Many thanks for your consideration.
Marc

support

Postby support » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:41 pm

On windows phone "Share My GPS Coordinates" application allows to copy GPS coordinates to clipboard, which can be used to enter lon/lat pair into text field, or with some editing, into two separate numeric fields.

FDB could include similar functionality through some sort of "auto-fill" menu with commands to paste longitude, latitude, altitude, and so on. Menu could be activated either by long press on the field entry line, or through a dedicated button displayed next to a field entry alongside with attachment buttons.

For geotags in photos, the application can have an option to enable storing GPS location information into photo files. In addition, a menu command can be added to image viewer screen to display information stored in image file, including location.

Do you think providing above described functionality would be sufficient for your purposes?

marc

Postby marc » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:19 am

That would be absolutely brilliant!
Many thanks :)

Return to “FDB: Field Database”