Feature wish list

support

Feature wish list

Postby support » Wed May 20, 2015 2:16 pm

Please use this topic to suggest and discuss new features for future releases of the application.

tele

Re: Feature wish list

Postby tele » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:55 pm

Need to be able to sort a choice type field in alphanumerical order of the data, not by order it was added to choice list. Or add a sort tab to the choices creation window. Will this feature be added soon, or is it even possible?

support

Sorting labels of choice field

Postby support » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:29 pm

By design the intent of choice type fields is a small set of values that do not need to be changed often and is manageable through simple editing with only ability to add/remove values in the end of list. Internally choice fields are stored as numbers, which allows renaming choice labels without changing data in database records themselves. When records are sorted based on choice field, it is numerical sort according to position of a label in the list of choices - not alphanumeric order of labels.

It would be possible to add sorting just in presenting the menu of choices during data entry. That probably will result in confusion with sorting records using choice field. It is possible as well to change record sorting into based choice labels - not values. That would be a radical change from present behavior, I am not sure everyone will be happy with that.

What seems to be a better approach is to have a variant of text field, where a set of valid entries can be predefined, and data entry is performed not by typing text, but by selecting from menu. I would think that updating existing records in case of changing the list of valid values would not be done automatically, but will be the users responsibility.

Also, there is already an alternative to choice fields that is better suited for the case of large number of values -- relations. You can create a database with records containing in a text field the values to be used for choice. In your main database instead of adding a choice field, create a relation to the database with values. When entering data into that relation field of the main database, you will be presented with a table view from which you can make a selection of value (related record). The table is much more flexible in presenting list of values than menu, and is completely under your control through predefined sorting and filtering.

tele

Postby tele » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:09 am

K, say u have the following DBS: 1st is called "dingbat", will show brand, model, etc, and also 1 of 40 owners. Each owner has 3 to 12 dingbats. Another db is called "service", with repair and maintenance done on each dingbat, and Shows date, time, type of service, job#, etc, and obviously needs to be linked to "dingbat" db, and also requires owner field to id correctly. I had it set up as owner=choice and link worked, but didn't sort "dingbat" correctly, and also was s l o w to edit and select choice. Will end up with 4-7 or so records for each dingbat.
Using your suggestion to move owner to a separate db and link with relation to "machine" will not allow linked owner field to show up in the relation between "dingbat" and "service" dbs. Using an additional link to owner from "service" db will not work, as dingbat needs to be id'd correctly from "dingbat" db.

support

Postby support » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:27 pm

Yes, currently it is only possible to display normal fields from relations one level deep. So maybe another feature for wishlist should be deeper level of relations look up.

tele

Postby tele » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:41 am

Yes, this would work. That will solve other issues as well. Please let me know when available. 8-)

marc

Postby marc » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:11 pm

I just created a database with a field with multiple choice. I need to repeat that field 5 times in the table but there is no 'duplicate' option for fields as there are for databases so it leaves me with having to repeat all the taxing multiple choice process 5 more time. Would it be possible to add a 'duplicate field' option?
Thanks
Marc

support

Postby support » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:42 pm

It probably does make sense to add to choice field edit dialog a duplicate button. I will add this to wish list for future release.

One idea to make creating multiple choice fields less taxing is to utilize the fact, that on import from CSV file into a new database, for newly created choice fields the application collects choice values form imported data. So if you create a spreadsheet with columns for each of your choice fields, and create a cell for each choice value, after import you will have your fields created, without need to use onscreen keyboard.

marc

Postby marc » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:23 am

Thanks, I will use the import option as it will speed things up. :)

Return to “FDB: Field Database”